Monday, July 3, 2017

Boys South of the Mason Dixon - Review

Boys South of the Mason Dixon #1

By: Abbi Glines

Published: May 15, 2017 by Abbi Glines Publishing

204 pages

Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult, New Adult

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
The only thing hotter than the weather South of the Mason Dixon line are the boys. Worn, faded blue jeans, slow Southern drawls, and those naughty moments in the back of pickup trucks a girl never forgets. 

Welcome to the world of the Sutton boys. 

Five brothers who fight, party, drink a little too much, but more importantly, they love their momma. Nothing can tear them apart… until the girl next door wins more than one of their hearts.
MY REVIEW:
I've read a fair amount of books by Abbi Glines and they are usually a great fast read after I finish a heavy book or series. That was the situation I found myself in when I picked this one up to read. I purchased it during a one day $.99 sale. I figured, since it's short, that I could read it in a day, two max. Plus it's set in Alabama, my home state, and it's about good ole' country boys! Let me hear that southern accent! Cue the country music station.

The plot theme of this book isn't a new one to me. Recently I have read at least one series that deals with a similar issue, The Kennedy Boys by Siobhan Davis. This similarity doesn't bother me as it might some readers. Perhaps if I read these series back to back I might get tired of the "same thing" but there's always some detail that's different and of course the characters are slightly different, enough so that I'm still loving the angst and romance.

Five brothers: Asher the oldest, Bray and Brent the twins, Steel, and Dallas the youngest. When the story first begins our MC, Dixie, is only 13 years old...and she's got it baaaaaaad for the eldest Sutton brother, Asher, who is 16 at the start of the story. His reputation with being with older girls is well known and yet his protectiveness over her and kindness towards her makes her fall hard for him. The book goes back and forth between current events and events from 4 years ago. Eventually Dixie grows up and becomes a woman, albiet more slowly than her friends bodies seemed to transition. Asher is a guy after all and definitely takes notice...but by then three years older (he's 19 and she's 16) and having cared about her since she was a young kid, he finds she is the one girl that he's never felt he couldn't be himself around. Until one day he discovers a secret that changes everything and to spare her he leaves to go off to college far away so that they don't have to be around one another. Shattered hearts and broken dreams. Only now, when he returns home after a few years staying away (he's now 21 and she's 18 and both are in college), she's in a relationship with his brother Steel, and though it's wrong for some many reasons, he can't stop loving her. Only now, her heart is torn between what she once had with Asher and what she may have with his brother.

A fun tidbit from the story: the mention of the brothers eating tomato gravy and biscuits for one breakfast. I grew up with my family enjoying this same meal....everyone but me that is. I never did care for this southern tradition!

Quite a few typos throughout the story on the Kindle version I read. I will also say that at times I felt Dixie was a bit fickle in her feelings. First Asher is the only true love she ever had and then she wasn't sure she loved him enough. All in all, I got my happily-ever-after and the series is set to discover more about the brothers. I was a fan of all of the brothers. They can be hot-headed, but they were fiercely loyal to one another and to their mother. They had a ton of respect for their mom also. That's nice to see in stories. They definitely fall closer to the bad boy spectrum in how they are with a revolving door of girls, but they each seem to have hearts of gold. A few of the brothers have some demons it seems they are dealing with in their own way and I'm sure we'll learn more as the series goes on.

If you need a quick pick-me-up, angsty love story, give this a read!

Top 5 Favorite Quotes:
"When a beautiful girl cries, a boy never forgets why."

When your soul finds its match, there's no doubt in your heart.

He was protecting me. Asher cherished what he had. All the things my momma said I was supposed to expect from a guy and should never settle for any less.

...all I realized in the end was that once you'd found perfection, everything else paled in comparison. A puzzle piece would forever be missing from your soul.

"The future is a funny thing. It may lead you around the world and bring you rihgt back where you started."

Language: 2 (medium)
Mature Content: 2 (medium)
Final Rating: 3.5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...