Monday, June 26, 2017

A Court of Wings and Ruin - Review

A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3)

By: Sarah J. Maas 

Published: May 2, 2017 by Bloomsbury USA Children's

707 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places. 

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.
MY REVIEW:
It's always a rush to be able to binge read a series once all the books are out! This final book does not disappoint!

The heat and passion between Rhys and Feyre I felt sometimes was lacking after book 2's sizzling scenes. So I missed that a lot in this book. I have to admit also, given my personal dislikes in stories I read, is the very late addition of some gay characters. To wait till book 3 to throw that in there had me like "meh". I realize this is a very unpopular opinion but since I don't enjoy or want to read books in the LGBTQIA genre, I'm cautious about where some future books may take some of these characters and if I'll want to read those. That has me feeling bummed.

This book has Rhys, Feyre and the rest of the Night Court's inner circle, planning and preparing for war against the King of Hybern and that wicked cauldron he wields the power of. As long as this book is (just over 700 pages!) there is so very much that happens. So many struggles and trials they still have to face until that final battle scene. But man, these are people who overcome! They aren't fearful of death. They have a strong moral compass of what's right and wrong when it comes to the treatment of humans and leaving the world a better place. They are fiercely loyal to each other. When they come together as a family unit and show their true selves to the other High Lord's, it's amazing what they accomplish.

The ending to the story had me RAGING in parts and then after seeing the reveals along the way I am in awe of writers like Maas who can weave stories like this and keep the reader on their toes not anticipating and guessing every detail. It's incredible! I'm listing this one as a series ender because after researching the series, according to what I could find, this was meant to be a trilogy and there will be more in the world but it will be a spin-off following other characters.

As with the other two books, I give a warning to younger readers as this series is mature in content and language.

I absolutely can't wait to see which characters Maas writes about in more books to come in the Prythian world! For that reason, 2018 can't come soon enough! There are so many questions still to be answered surronding other characters. To name a few I hope we learn more about: Azriel, Cassian, Nesta, Elaine, Lucien, Amren, Tarquin, Tamlin, Morrigan and more of the High Lords. Seriously, there are so many stories yet to be told in this world!!

If you're new to this series, check out my other reviews:

Book one, A Court of Thorns and Roses (4.5 stars)
Book two, A Court of Mist and Fury (5 stars!)

Top 5 (plus a bonus) non-spoilery Favorite Quotes:
"I missed you. Every second, every breath."

"I need you. As an option. In my future."

"You are selfless, and brave, and kind. You are more than I ever dreamed for myself..."

If Rhysand was Night Triumphant, I was the star that only glowed thanks to his darkness, the light only visible because of him. 

If he was the sweet, terrifying darkness, I was the glittering light that only his shadows could make clear.

"I would have waited five hundred more years for you. A thousand years. And if this was all the time we were allowed to have ... The wait was worth it."

Language: 2 (medium)
Mature Content: 2 (medium)
Final Rating: 4.5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...