Monday, June 19, 2017

A Court of Mist and Fury - Review

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2)

By: Sarah J. Maas 

Published: May 3, 2016 by Bloomsbury USA Children's

626 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

(Goodreads / Amazon)

Summary:
Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.
MY REVIEW:
In two words this book was frustrating and delicious! One thing is certain, this book made me FEEL a LOT! Let me explain.

The story picks up about 3 months after the ending of book one. If you're new to the series this isn't a super big deal in a time gap because book one doesn't end in a cliffhanger. The first 20% of the book though had me all kinds of frustrated both at Feyre and at Tamlin. Yes, Feyre is dealing with some demons and depression after the events of what occured in book one. But, Tamlin, the High Lord of the Spring Court, doesn't SEE her anymore through the potential threat of violence to her. He is blinded by his desire to protect. With little communication between them about the horrific pain and damage of what happened to them, this causes a downward spiral of events. Feyre, seemingly too lackadaisical about it all, turns into this quiet, obedient mouse of a person, too willing to go along with his overbearance and the orders and wishes of everyone around her. This causes her depression to spiral out of control and her physical wellbeing to suffer. So yeah, the first 20% of the book was hard to get through. But I just KNEW there had to be a reason. What Feyre needed was a true partner, someone that could help her harness her new body and her new powers. Someone that could fulfill her new desires as the new being she was.

I could see a love triangle forming and I wasn't sure I could get on board with that at first. Being the excellent writer and storyteller that Maas is though, and experiencing something similar in her Throne of Glass series, she had me wringing with frustration to near panting with desire for more, more, more! At times it felt like I was on a roller coast of emotions! I was twisted with pain, reeling with frustration, squealing with excitement, drooling with desire, shocked with revelations, surprised at tricky turn of events, and every feeling in between! This book.....it increases the heat by a hundred percent! There were parts where I said "oh, this is a re-read section!"

Enter Rhysand. A major side player from book one, the High Lord of the Night Court, he now has a link straight to Feyre through a bargain she made with him in book one. That bargain: a week every month with him at his court. Being terrified to be taken away from Tamlin, Feyre is at first cautious of his intentions and fearful. The connection between Rhysand and Feyre is like a slow ember burning. It was agnonizing at times to watch their flirtatious interactions remain only that. They are both stubborn and strong-willed and damaged. When we finally see behind the mask of the High Lord of the Night Court, woah man! I could not get enough!!

I'm upping my mature content rating for this one because the scenes are more graphic than most YA books. I'm not entirely sure if this is even considered YA....the publisher having "Children's" in the name is very deceiving if one were to assume it's for children. Not that many readers look at that sort of thing. This is definitely more in the NA realm not just in content but also in the ages of the characters. Yes, Feyre is only 20 but the rest of the major players are hundreds of years old - in the lives of Immortal Faeries. There are also quite the number of F-bombs for any potential younger readers, so beware. I don't recall not even one F-bomb in book one so that was increased exponentially.

To go on about the story itself would give away more than I believe the reader needs to know ahead of time. Believe me when I say there is so much that happens in this book! It's a wild ride of emotions and one I will need to re-read one day. For now though, I'm moving on to book 3!

Top 5 Favorite (non-spoiler) Quotes:
"You do what you love, what you need."

"Don't let the hard days win."

"To the stars who listen - and the dreams that are answered."

"I'm thinking," he said, following the flick of my tongue over my bottom lip, "that I look at you and feel like I'm dying. Like I can't breathe. I'm thinking that I want you so badly I can't concentrate half the time I'm around you..."

"Truth is deadly. Truth is freedom. Truth can break and mend and bind."

Language: 2 (medium)
Mature Content: 3 (high)
Final Rating: 5 stars!!!

1 comments:

  1. Great review. If I hadn't already read this one you would have sold me on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...